Underground Support Solutions
Underground Support Solutions (PTY) LTD (USS) is a company that emanated from Underground Solutions (PTY) LTD (US) servicing the coal mine industry since August 2006, services include; Conveyor belt maintenance, including construction and reclaiming. Secondary roof support including, pillar wrapping, air support with Gophers, mechanical support with hydraulic/electric roof bolters, wire mesh installation on hanging roof and rib sides and high wall support.
With a head office situated in Witbank and a satellite office/workshop in Trichardt, as a supporting structure to 9 business units across several mine shafts in Mpumalanga. The company has a BBEEE rating of a level 1 as a generic enterprise, with 52% black shareholding of which 48% is black female shareholding.
Underground Support Solutions
Safety, Health, Enviromental & Quality Policy
SAFETY-Do it! Done it! Doing it tomorrow!
The management of Underground Support Solutions recognizes the impact that all our activities may have on people
- Learning from incidents to prevent reoccurance
- Ensuring our systems are audited and identifying improvement opportunities to drive better SHEQ performance
- Informing and training all employees on SHEQ best practices
- Identifying hazards, assessing risks and implementing effective controls to prevent causes and mitigate possible consequences
- Responding effectively to emergencies involving our people, operations and products
- Bench-marking best practices nationally
- Setting and periodically reviewing SHEQ objectives and targets and communicating progress
- Making policies available to the public on request
- Comply with all health, safety and enviromental legislation, regulations and other applicable requirements
- Comply with client SHEQ system requiremnets with our own requirements being an absolute minimum requirement
- Implement and maintain, as far as reasonably practicable, th activities of the company in such a manner, as to prevent harm or damage to persons and property respectfully
- Continually improve our SHEQ performance
- Promoting dialogue with stake holders about SHEQ
- Prevention of injuries and ill health
- ZERO Fatalities
- ZERO High severity incidents
- First Aid Cases below 0.25
- Recordable Workday Case below 0.13
- Lost work day case below 0.15
- Less than 4 reportable incidents
- Reduce absenteeism to below 3%
- Skills development and up-skilling of current
employees by 20%
- Increase Woman in mining to 15%
- Every employee to have company logo on overalls
- Achieve exceptional service level agreement on all belts
- Engineering availability to be more than 94% and
underground audit to be more than 93%
- Below 1% roof bolt re-installations
- 100-110% of support target to be achieved every shift
- Minimise environmental impacts
- Have full alignment with all our customers environmental policies and procedures
Our skills development committee has assisted management with ensuring implementation of upskilling employees in our company. During 2019/2020/2021 financial year, 24 learnerships were put in process, and several woman in mining sent for safety officer training including COMSOC 1 and COMSOC 2.
Internships were granted to 2 mining engineers, a rock mechanic and financial accounting candidates. Several apprenticeships are driven through PTA college, studying N subjects in diesel, fitting and electrical trades.
USS contributes to socio-economic development and small enterprise development - A specific
social economic project close to USS's heart, is the building of a house for Gogo.
Gogo started a children's home for HIV positive children ranging from infant to 18 years old. USS
was fortunate to assist Gogo with building a brick house, replacing a shanty house. The house
introduced the 1st running water to their neighborhood, including a toilet and a shower. Two
rooms were build to accommodate more children, and was outfitted with bunks beds and study
table to assist the children with their homework. USS supports Gogo and the children regularly
with the supply of food packages including meat, vegtables and staples.
Excellent safety first production methods
Cost-effective, fit for purpose solutions
Industry leading rates of production and availibility
Constant engagement with all levels of end users and employees